www.flickr.com

nothing because it has to be connected to my computer to work, grrr


prawn cocktail crisps

pilchards on toast (you can get pilchards there but they just don't taste the same)

decent tv

jaffa cakes

Greggs pasties

proper beer (as in Black Sheep, or Timothy Taylor's Landlord, or Cwrw Haf, the list goes on...)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Married in the tropics, enjoying life with my husband, my clarinet and wondering that eternal mystery - where do all my fish go?

adopt your own virtual pet!

Powered by Blogger

Friday, June 29, 2007

Uninspired

I have been a little quiet of late, mainly because working as a checkout chick does not exactly give inspiration to deep and meaningful thoughts. I have been known to achieve a trance-like state whilst scanning things, my brain in far off places whilst my arms work on automatic (almost like packing tomatoes really) but the sound of the Noddy machine going off or, as happened today, customer announcements about deals every 15 minutes for 6 hours, tends to disrupt my peaceful state of mind from thinking too much about anything. Or, as is generally the case, I end up singing the theme tune to Noddy without realising - much to the amusement of my customers.

There are occasional moments to lift me from my catatonic state though. Last Saturday I had not 1, but 2 people walk in and ask 'Do you do the Lotto?'. I have, so far, resisted the urge to reply 'No, we have a bloody great big machine, a large stand and ooh, let me see, 3 posters that all have Lotto and the fingers crossed logo stamped across them JUST FOR FUN'. I also got rather imperiously ordered to do something about the fact that the other members of staff round the corner on the tills were very busy and needed help. Given that I had an even LONGER queue than they did and was on my own I thought that that was possibly asking a bit much but the customer in question was quite adamant that this girl (still with a 'trainee' badge on) was the one to sort out the problem, not the numerous members of staff down every bloody other aisle doing sod all throughout the rest of the store.

The best one of late though was the customer announcements today. Unfortunately the poor girl obviously didn't have much in the way of French and for several annoucements managed to tell customers that we were selling pain au chocolate* until someone told her otherwise. Made me smile anyway :)

*This doesn't really work written down, try saying it out loud with English pronunciations...

Labels:

|