www.flickr.com

nothing because it has to be connected to my computer to work, grrr


prawn cocktail crisps

pilchards on toast (you can get pilchards there but they just don't taste the same)

decent tv

jaffa cakes

Greggs pasties

proper beer (as in Black Sheep, or Timothy Taylor's Landlord, or Cwrw Haf, the list goes on...)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Married in the tropics, enjoying life with my husband, my clarinet and wondering that eternal mystery - where do all my fish go?

adopt your own virtual pet!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Countryside living

I was going to write a terribly nostalgic post today about the wonders of living in the countryside, in particular the wonderful scents that you get on a warm summer evening, the deep heavy perfume of the honeysuckle being my one of my favourites. The world cannot be truly bad whilst it contains honeysuckle.

Unfortunately, today has been a constant reminder of one of the other ‘scents’ of the countryside which has quite put me out of the mood of being descriptive and wondering outside smelling the roses and the honeysuckle. Instead I’ve had to dig around to find my oil burning tea light thingy and, upon discussion with mother, have been desperately trying to get the scent of sandalwood to fill the house, rather than the smell which currently does because, you see, today the farmers around the village have been muck-spreading. In vast quantities. And it reeks.

Unfortunately it’s even worse inside the house today than it normally would be because I didn’t realize that they were going to be muck-spreading when I set off this morning, this lovely, sunny, warm summers’ morning, for my walk to the next village to get the paper with a neighbour. This morning which was so perfect for leaving the windows open upstairs and in the conservatory and getting some fresh air into the house (given how cold and miserable it has been recently).

All I can say is I’m glad I hadn’t hung my washing out before we left or work would not have been best pleased with me in the morning. I’m not sure ‘eau de manure’ would be the most popular perfume in a supermarket…
|