www.flickr.com

nothing because it has to be connected to my computer to work, grrr


prawn cocktail crisps

pilchards on toast (you can get pilchards there but they just don't taste the same)

decent tv

jaffa cakes

Greggs pasties

proper beer (as in Black Sheep, or Timothy Taylor's Landlord, or Cwrw Haf, the list goes on...)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Married in the tropics, enjoying life with my husband, my clarinet and wondering that eternal mystery - where do all my fish go?

adopt your own virtual pet!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Cake Stress

I just want a wedding cake. Why is this turning out to be such a drama?

I'm, unwisely perhaps, organising my wedding through a wedding co-ordinator which sounds all well and good and stress free and easy.

I wish.

Trying to get help or information out of him is like trying to get blood out of a stone and trying to get something actually organised is proving somewhat difficult on occasion, as the whole cake saga proves.

Anyway, this particular organiser has on his website several cakes but they also say that if you send them a picture of a different cake that you like they will make it for you.

All well and good so far.

So, I find this cake with cute little octopusses on top holding tentacles in a magazine and send them a picture. Having previously quoted me $355 for a 3 tier chocolate mud cake, with little figurines on top, they then decide that this cake is different and because of the weight and blah blah blah it has to be done differently so it's going to cost $640. Slight price difference there.

After a brief apoplexy I decide that never mind the bakery, I can cook my own cake! the day before the wedding! And ice it and buy little decorations for it and become a master chefess over night...

It took both my mother and my aunt to calm me down and make me see sense over that one.

So the hunt was on to find a cake that I liked that didn't cost the earth. I decided to stick to the website cakes in the vague hope that the costs would be reasonable for those ones. I picked a rather nice one with blue ribbons round it and a little crystaline bridal couple on the top. Right price, right colours, nice cake. Wonderful.

Only they don't have those figurines any more do they. The co-ordinator said I could have a couple from a different cake but (and this is being nice here) they aren't really US (for the record, here's the couple he suggested, you see my point?). So, I'm fairly certain I know which bakery he gets his cakes from so I pointed out a couple on that website and asked for something similar to that. He said that that was fine but it would be a $55 surcharge!

I'm sorry, they can't give me something that they are advertising as available and so are going to charge me EXTRA for something else?!

We've finally managed to come to an arrangement and I've found a cake, that I like, that won't cost the earth and that they have or can make the decorations for.

Why is this so hard?

Labels:

|