www.flickr.com

nothing because it has to be connected to my computer to work, grrr


prawn cocktail crisps

pilchards on toast (you can get pilchards there but they just don't taste the same)

decent tv

jaffa cakes

Greggs pasties

proper beer (as in Black Sheep, or Timothy Taylor's Landlord, or Cwrw Haf, the list goes on...)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Married in the tropics, enjoying life with my husband, my clarinet and wondering that eternal mystery - where do all my fish go?

adopt your own virtual pet!

Powered by Blogger

Monday, April 20, 2009

The curious phenomenon of passport photos [Scanned]

Firstly, good news!  I have my new passport (finally!).  This is a Very Good Thing.

 

Secondly, I don’t really know how I managed it but I did.

 

For years I hated my passport photo.  About 6 months after I had it taken I cut all my hair off and for the majority of the next decade, wherever I went I had passport officials scrutinising my photo and me as if they were thinking ‘Is that really her?’  I even had bleach blonde short hair at one point and that took a little bit of explaining to the official I was trying to persuade to let me into Australia.

 

Even with the differences in hair style, I hated that photo.  I looked chubby, I looked pale (dark clothes didn’t help), my fringe was curling every which way and my eyebrows were in really, truly quite desperate need of an appointment with a lot of wax.

 

In effort to correct this with my shiny new passport, I wore a light shirt and my hair looked good and neat on the day I had the photos taken.  Of course, the Foreign Office then sent me the whole sodding application back as the photos had too much glare.  Grr.  So, I had them done at Australia Post across the road and that took 3 goes to get shots that were the right size and didn’t have any glare on them. 

 

I was in a rush.  I was harassed and consequently, in my new passport photo, I look pale (dark tops again), my fringe is curling every which way and although I don’t look quite so chubby but there are more lines than a decade ago.  The only good thing about the whole debacle is that my eyebrows are now, at least, not in desperate need of tweezers.

 

I really don’t know how I managed to end up with a practically identical photo but I have.  I think cameras have it in for me.

 

|