www.flickr.com

nothing because it has to be connected to my computer to work, grrr


prawn cocktail crisps

pilchards on toast (you can get pilchards there but they just don't taste the same)

decent tv

jaffa cakes

Greggs pasties

proper beer (as in Black Sheep, or Timothy Taylor's Landlord, or Cwrw Haf, the list goes on...)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Married in the tropics, enjoying life with my husband, my clarinet and wondering that eternal mystery - where do all my fish go?

adopt your own virtual pet!

Powered by Blogger

Friday, October 21, 2005

Leaving Cardwell


Well, today's the day that I'm off down to Brisbane. Fun fun fun!

Cardwell's been cool but I can't wait to see mum and hopefully TAB in Melbourne :)

I'm just lazing around today. At some point before about 4.30pm I really should pack my stuff but no worries, it can wait for a little while!

I've finally managed to work out how to put photos on this page (well, I knew how but the computer was being far too slow but this has, thankfully, passed, yay!) so here, just for all of you, is that picture I tried to put up a few posts ago of me in my bikini (apologies to one and all for it!).

I had a bit of a rant yesterday at work with one of my co-sorters about the wastage of food they have going here. When I read my sister's blog about the starvation and conditions in Namibia and know that I was paid to stand there and pull not only rotten or split bananas off the bunches but ones that were too curvy, or too straight, or just didn't make the bunch look nice. Not only that but bananas HAVE to be in bunches, which means 3 or more, so perfectly good single and paired bananas weren't even considered, nope, it's out to the thing that cuts them up into tiny little pieces. Bunches also have to have two rows so a bunch of (over 3, of course) bananas that just happen to be in a single line rather than two rows, out they go too.

The waste is incredible. We had thousands of bananas pass through our hands every day, every hour really, and we threw away at least one banana from each bunch.

The stupid thing is that as a single (up until recently anyway) girl buying food just for myself, I'm more likely to pull one or two bananas off a bunch in a shop and buy them rather than the whole bunch.

This world makes no sense, no sense at all.
|