www.flickr.com

nothing because it has to be connected to my computer to work, grrr


prawn cocktail crisps

pilchards on toast (you can get pilchards there but they just don't taste the same)

decent tv

jaffa cakes

Greggs pasties

proper beer (as in Black Sheep, or Timothy Taylor's Landlord, or Cwrw Haf, the list goes on...)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Married in the tropics, enjoying life with my husband, my clarinet and wondering that eternal mystery - where do all my fish go?

adopt your own virtual pet!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, May 21, 2006

The greatest contest ever!

It's Saturday night! I'm young! I'm pretty! I'm sexy! What am I doing? I'm watching the Eurovision Song Contest of course...

I love this program. There's no way round saying this, it's fantastic (possibly even amazing) and just unmissable!

It's the ultimate in cheese and 'how to poke fun at every other countries crap song (apart from ours which is merely cringworthy, not even laughable)' and definately course 101 in European politics.

There is one thing though that makes it completely, utterly and definately compelling viewing though. The one thing that, should it be lacking, would make a hilarious cheesy night simply very, very sad viewing. That is of course *queue dramatic music* Terry Wogan, the god of Eurovision, that endless stream of ridiculous comments, views on voting (most of which are correct), and - as the evening progresses - that endless stream of alcohol fueled comments as well.

He is phenomenal! A wonderful person to whom I could listen talking inane bollocks all day long. He's just got that kind of voice.

It's always been a battle during the Eurovision as to when to go to the toilet. The songs are, and, lets face it, always have been, complete rubbish but you can't move because you're laughing so much and then by the time you've recovered, Terry's talking again and you don't want to miss it. Thankfully this year, a solution presented itself. Mum has digital tv. It's great, it's fantastic, we can get channel 4 rather than S4C. We could also get subtitles and translations to all the songs and, every so often, they would block out ol' Terry and have a very, VERY annoying voiceover about how you could txt or phone in your votes and good luck messages to Daz. I quickly realised that this was the time to scarper if I needed to. Or, actually, even if I didn't need to, anything to escape that man! How dare he talk over Terry?!

Anyway, my vote, personally, for the night went to the Lituanian entry. Anyone with the guts to enter the contest with a song that goes 'We are the winners of the Eurovision contest, vote, vote, vote, vote, vote!' deserves to win for sheer cheek alone.

Besides, they made me laugh.
|