www.flickr.com

nothing because it has to be connected to my computer to work, grrr


prawn cocktail crisps

pilchards on toast (you can get pilchards there but they just don't taste the same)

decent tv

jaffa cakes

Greggs pasties

proper beer (as in Black Sheep, or Timothy Taylor's Landlord, or Cwrw Haf, the list goes on...)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Married in the tropics, enjoying life with my husband, my clarinet and wondering that eternal mystery - where do all my fish go?

adopt your own virtual pet!

Powered by Blogger

Friday, August 18, 2006

A rose by any other name

I got promoted* today! I got moved from one shed at my farm yesterday to the new one they've just opened and this morning just as I was about to start work the shed manager came up to me and told me that I was in charge while she wasn't there - which is most of the time. Excellent! Power! Fame! Money! It was all in my grasp and all I had to do was wonder round the shed looking important and telling people how to do their job and making sure that everything was ok. Easy as!

Unfortunately, the enthusiasm diminished suddenly with the arrival of a black folder shoved into my arms along with the comments 'this is the paperwork' and 'we don't have anyone else able to do this' (a comment which conveniently skirts around the alarming issue that I don't know how to do this either).

Undeterred I set to my new job with life and passion.

No, honestly.

For the first hour or so anyway. 9am, I'm seriously wishing I was in shorts not jeans, I'm sweating my arse off and am running round like a blue arsed fly trying to:

  • keep all the boxes behind the packers stacked up, and getting new pallets of boxes for them when they run out
  • keep the seconds (the tomatoes not quite good enough to go in the good boxes but too good to throw out) boxes emptied with alarming regularity and the rubbish bins as well
  • see that the seconds and rubbish bins are all labelled properly so they don't get mixed up
  • fix the fact that the people who set the shed up had done it wrong so everything was backwards to the way they do it at the main shed
  • help the stackers put lids on because they were running around like headless chickens
  • make sure the bins behind the machines collecting the unripe tomatoes weren't overflowing then collaring the forklift driver to shift them
  • AND do all the paperwork.

We finished at lunchtime due to a lack of fruit. I for one could honestly say I did not mind in the slightest bit. Mind you, I figure that if I keep on running round the I did today, I'll be a nice size 8 in no time!

Roll on tomorrow.

*For 'promoted' please read 'had a pile of shit heaped on me for no extra money and less days off'
|