www.flickr.com

nothing because it has to be connected to my computer to work, grrr


prawn cocktail crisps

pilchards on toast (you can get pilchards there but they just don't taste the same)

decent tv

jaffa cakes

Greggs pasties

proper beer (as in Black Sheep, or Timothy Taylor's Landlord, or Cwrw Haf, the list goes on...)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Married in the tropics, enjoying life with my husband, my clarinet and wondering that eternal mystery - where do all my fish go?

adopt your own virtual pet!

Powered by Blogger

Monday, January 22, 2007

Famous last words

"It's amazing! As I sit here merrily typing away I'm watching the first actual proper rain (rather than a 2 minute shower that doesn't even make the ground damp) to fall in months. I'm sure it won't last, it never does here in Bowen"

I was wrong. Horrendously wrong.

It's not a cyclone but you'd be hard pressed to believe that there's a drought on in this country given the amount of rain that has fallen since I typed those fateful words only a few days ago.

It has hammered it down! We've discovered that the roof somewhere on the side of the house leaks because the rain comes down the inside of one window and floods the floor of our dining room. Our garden either loved or hated it. The stronger plants loved it, the weaker ones didn't like being splashed with mud and are close to giving up the ghost, weaklings that they are - mentioning no names of course...SILVERBEET!

It's becoming quite common to wake up at 3am to the sound of the entire sky emptying onto our tin roof (noisy) and for us to turn to each other and sigh 'Oh dear, the plants'.

The Other Half and I, in desperation for something to do, bought Monopoly cards last week. I don't know if anyone has ever seen these or played them but it's quite addictive (and cheaper than buying an actual Monopoly board which was what we wanted). What you do is collect sets and houses and bonus cards and when you have a set you can put your hand down and earn money for each monopoly you have. I am turning out to be completely bad at this game and have lost several matches. The Other Half insists that it is down to his skilful playing and planning and utter brilliance. I, on the other hand, say that it's hard to win, or even be skilful when you don't even have a go because your opponent has a winning hand dealt to him constantly. This argument may go on for a while because I'm not backing down!

The ensuing discussions about Monopoly reminded me of growing up and playing against my brother who always used the same arguments when he won but when I did (rarely) it was just luck, or he let me. I say once again it's hard to win when your opponent has bought most of the sets before you make it round the board for the first time due to regularly landing in jail.

It's possible I'm a sore loser at Monopoly.

Oh look, it's raining again.

Labels:

|