www.flickr.com

nothing because it has to be connected to my computer to work, grrr


prawn cocktail crisps

pilchards on toast (you can get pilchards there but they just don't taste the same)

decent tv

jaffa cakes

Greggs pasties

proper beer (as in Black Sheep, or Timothy Taylor's Landlord, or Cwrw Haf, the list goes on...)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Married in the tropics, enjoying life with my husband, my clarinet and wondering that eternal mystery - where do all my fish go?

adopt your own virtual pet!

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The in-laws

I'm scared.

I've met his parents. And I like them.

A lot.

And, so he assures me, they like me too. We're pretty certain that whenever his mother looks at me all she can think is 'grandchildren'. I've got a nasty feeling that we should never let his parents meet my mother or we'll find a wedding planned and the children already named in a very short period of time!

What scares me isn't actually that I like them, or that they like me, or even that they seem to think that we go well together and are planning grandchildren. It's that we think that we go well together and the thought of children sometime in the future is possible and that, completely independently, they agree! The Other Half is already certain that he'd never hear the end of it if he dumped me or I left him (not that he is planning to, or that I am thinking of it but if it were to happen, in some horrible alternate universe, he would not hear the end of it)

They're not supposed to agree, especially not this early. There's supposed to be cries of 'but you've only just met, you can't move in together' and 'she's a backpacker, she's sure to leave you one day' and stuff like that! And surely my mother should be advising caution, given my past history with men, but no. I could hear the disappointment down the phone, from the other side of the world, when I jokingly told her not to worry, that I'm not pregnant. I've really got a feeling that she's already compiling a wedding invitation list in her head.

Yes, definitely do not let the parents meet just yet.
|