www.flickr.com

nothing because it has to be connected to my computer to work, grrr


prawn cocktail crisps

pilchards on toast (you can get pilchards there but they just don't taste the same)

decent tv

jaffa cakes

Greggs pasties

proper beer (as in Black Sheep, or Timothy Taylor's Landlord, or Cwrw Haf, the list goes on...)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Married in the tropics, enjoying life with my husband, my clarinet and wondering that eternal mystery - where do all my fish go?

adopt your own virtual pet!

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

A world full of sky

I was just thinking about the title of my blog and why I chose it and thought that I'd better maybe explain a couple of things.

Firstly, I was hugely into skydiving at the time - still would be if only I can afford it but it's a hobby that has had to go on hold for the next decade or so while I pay off my debts to my mother (an society of course). When you're skydiving the sky is your playground, you have up to a minute of freefall, high speed fun and games*, and then several minutes of playing around with your parachute unless you're in a hurry to get to the ground. From 14,000ft to about 50oft the ground is largely inconsequential. It's there, and you're heading for a specific bit of it but what you notice most is the huge amount of sky that there is around you, the world is full of it. The feeling is amazing and as soon as I can afford to actually jump again trust me, I will be there, in that plane, waiting to take that leap into the wild blue yonder.

Secondly I'm in Australia. The sky here is utterly amazing and I am constantly transfixed by the range of colours and simple amount of sky that they have here. In Britain there just isn't so much of it as there is here. I have seen more brilliant sunsets/sunrises in the last 18 months than in my entire life previously. On a clear day (and trust me, they have lots of them in this part of the world) the sky can be anything from a near baby blue to a hard steely colour and I'm utterly captivated by the intensity of it all. And, cloudy or clear, there will be something to just sit and watch.

I'm not really very good at putting into words quite how wonderful the sky is here so you'll just have to trust me when I say that it is. One thing I do know for certain, this country has an entire world full of sky, all to itself, and a more beautiful sight you would be hardpressed to find anywhere else.

*the only advice I have here is don't try and kiss someone when falling at terminal velocity, not unless you liked chipped teeth one hell of a lot
|