www.flickr.com

nothing because it has to be connected to my computer to work, grrr


prawn cocktail crisps

pilchards on toast (you can get pilchards there but they just don't taste the same)

decent tv

jaffa cakes

Greggs pasties

proper beer (as in Black Sheep, or Timothy Taylor's Landlord, or Cwrw Haf, the list goes on...)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Married in the tropics, enjoying life with my husband, my clarinet and wondering that eternal mystery - where do all my fish go?

adopt your own virtual pet!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Perfect

This last weekend has been fantastic.

For a start, the weather has been on our side, despite the fact that it's still technically winter here, Saturday and Sunday were incredible! We drove leisurely down to Lakes Entrance in SE Victoria in the MG (British Racing Green of course!) with the roof down until sunset when it got just a bit too chilly. It was heavenly sunny and warm, to the point that I had to make TAB stop and find a supermarket so that I could buy some suntan lotion as I was getting just a tad pink. I almost felt like I should be wearing a flimsy headscarf a la Grace Kelly in High Society (only I'm sure she didn't have to worry about getting sunburnt...and I probably would have ended up more like Bridget Jones but I can dream!)

Lakes Entrance is, oddly enough, where the lakes meet the sea, the main town is a little over developed but you don't have to go far to escape it. We stayed at a place called the Goat and Goose (hope that works, the link button doesn't appear on Macs) which was simply perfect. The owners, Joy and Richard, couldn't have been more accommodating and the rooms were amazing. Four poster beds in every room and the second room we stayed in (we couldn't get it the first night, there was another couple there for their wedding anniversary) there was a spa. The views from the balconies were incredible down over the ocean, I couldn't have asked for a nicer place and, if you are ever in Victoria and fancy a romantic weekend away, there is the place to go.

We hired a boat on Sunday and putted on down the lake to a town called Metung (with a bottle of red wine on the way...) for lunch (another bottle...) and then putted all the way back. Another few glasses of red wine in the spa later than evening and we were in no condition to do anything but sit on the balcony and look at the stars.

I love being in Australia, I still can't get used to the fact that in the country you will, without a doubt, see flocks of Sulpher Crested Cockatoos all around and whilst sitting eating the full country breakfasts (included in the price) we watched gloriously coloured parrots and other birds (don't know what they were) eat seeds off the balcony. In the boat, pulling back towards Lakes Entrance we even had dolphins playing around us which was completely unexpected, they hadn't told us there were any in the area :)

We definately had a perfect time. I just wish it didn't have to end.
|