www.flickr.com

nothing because it has to be connected to my computer to work, grrr


prawn cocktail crisps

pilchards on toast (you can get pilchards there but they just don't taste the same)

decent tv

jaffa cakes

Greggs pasties

proper beer (as in Black Sheep, or Timothy Taylor's Landlord, or Cwrw Haf, the list goes on...)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Married in the tropics, enjoying life with my husband, my clarinet and wondering that eternal mystery - where do all my fish go?

adopt your own virtual pet!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Good day

Yesterday was a really really good day. We slaved like, well, slaves in order to finish the field (we've had more people helping us over the last 2 days so we have been able to pick more pumpkins) and worked a bit later than usual but we nearly finished the field (only half a row left for those poor sods who elected to work today, I volunteered to be the one who went with the bus to Ingham and do the shopping for the ones working as I really needed a day off!).

After work Ben, one of the workers and a really nice guy, took us up in his Ute to near the Murray Falls up river from the farm and we went swimming in the pools up there with a couple of beers and lazed around on the rocks in the evening sun soaking up the heat and then went back to his place for a bbq. Just what was called for after a hard day in the fields. We lay on the rocks and watched the stars come out, I thought you could see a lot at home but that in no way compares to what you can see when it's truly dark here. Lying there in the dark looking for shooting stars and watching the fireflies in the bush was simply amazing.

I don't know if I'll be working for the same farmer next week as I couldn't work the weekend but I'll keep my fingers crossed because he's a really nice guy to work for and Ben seemed to think that he was happy with my work (even though I'm a hopeless picker, I'm a MUCH better packer by far but then he said that he needs people good at packing so that's ok then!). I've said that I'll work tomorrow if he needs me.

Yesterday was also payday (always nice!) but apparently because we're doing the visa extention thing we need to be taxed the extortionate amount of 29% instead of the 14% the others are taxed. Grr. Out of the $500 I earned last week I came home with $360. Not impressed in the least. Still, there's nothing here to spend it on so I should be able to save some!

1 week down, 11 more to go...
|