www.flickr.com

nothing because it has to be connected to my computer to work, grrr


prawn cocktail crisps

pilchards on toast (you can get pilchards there but they just don't taste the same)

decent tv

jaffa cakes

Greggs pasties

proper beer (as in Black Sheep, or Timothy Taylor's Landlord, or Cwrw Haf, the list goes on...)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Married in the tropics, enjoying life with my husband, my clarinet and wondering that eternal mystery - where do all my fish go?

adopt your own virtual pet!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Oh to be an Aussie

I think, quite possibly, I was born to be an Australian. Growing up in Wales, much as I love the country, the people (well, most of them), the language and everything, I never really did fit in especially with an accent as quintessentially English as mine is. After I left to go to University in Leeds I had a bit of a troubled time and once I'd graduated never seemed quite comfortable enough there, there was always the lure of somewhere else to go to.

Australia was always a country that I longed to go to ever since watching Warming Up when I was about 7 or 8. Watching Neighbours religiously for years didn't help either!

Since coming here I have felt a sense of peace and belonging that I havn't felt in a very long time. This feeling was confirmed tenfold when, the other evening, I was sitting on the veranda of my 'husband's' house with a glass of wine in my hand cooling off after a swim watching the sun set over the gum trees and the 'roos start to appear with country music in the background (yes, I'm quite sad I know). Sitting there, bravely ignoring the mozzies which in turn were bravely ignoring the Aeroguard I had sprayed all over me, I thought 'Yes, this is me'.
|