www.flickr.com

nothing because it has to be connected to my computer to work, grrr


prawn cocktail crisps

pilchards on toast (you can get pilchards there but they just don't taste the same)

decent tv

jaffa cakes

Greggs pasties

proper beer (as in Black Sheep, or Timothy Taylor's Landlord, or Cwrw Haf, the list goes on...)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Married in the tropics, enjoying life with my husband, my clarinet and wondering that eternal mystery - where do all my fish go?

adopt your own virtual pet!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Fingers crossed

It's a little wierd. Jobless as I am, I've been fairly glued to the Commonwealth Games coverage on TV while it's been on. I've been amusing myself by trying to work out in exactly which building the BBC's studio is in judging by the view from the window. When the races were on like the marathon and the triathlon I was imagining myself walking down those very same stretches of the Esplanade (and once I bladed down them but we don't want to talk about that...) and the street that my flat was on etc. Another, very similar, occupation is pointing out to mum where she visited.

Today I was at it again, though with a slightly less enthusiastic approach as I watched the footage of where the cyclone hit the coast of North Queensland. In particular, the towns of Innisfail and Cardwell. I watched, nervously, as the helecopter flew over pictures of some houses standing, some totally wrecked and hoped that my old hostel, in Cardwell, was safe because the people who ran it were lovely - albeit a bit naive about how to run a hostel full of backpackers - and I really had a great time there (sorting bananas aside). Although I saw shots of the sea front at Cardwell, and a couple of Innisfail, I didn't see anywhere I knew in ruins.

Whether this is a good or bad thing, I'm not yet certain.

I would keep my fingers crossed that they're ok but the heating's gone off again and I'm not sure that I've got that much flexibility left in them so I'll just keep hoping.
|