www.flickr.com

nothing because it has to be connected to my computer to work, grrr


prawn cocktail crisps

pilchards on toast (you can get pilchards there but they just don't taste the same)

decent tv

jaffa cakes

Greggs pasties

proper beer (as in Black Sheep, or Timothy Taylor's Landlord, or Cwrw Haf, the list goes on...)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Married in the tropics, enjoying life with my husband, my clarinet and wondering that eternal mystery - where do all my fish go?

adopt your own virtual pet!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Help!

I am currently attempting to work out where I should fly to in Australia when I return. In order to help me make this decision I am, unwisely perhaps, relying on the information I can gather off the Harvest Trail website. I know that this is a slightly risky business given that I managed to find work in Murchison in Victoria when it said there shouldn't be any and the hostel I stayed at was not listed on their website.

Still, I have not got much choice.

My options are to go to Perth, but all the information I can gather about the towns around is that they're all 100's of k's away and you need your own transport so WA can be safely crossed off the list for now I think. The same goes for SA, even though it's a smaller state. Victoria I have spent a lot of time in and although I know and love the area well, I can't go back yet to where I really want to be and I do want to see more of Australia.

I don't think that I want to go to the Northern Territories to work (1 in 10 people can be allergic to the juice of mangoes and I don't want to go back to banana sorting again) which leaves NSW and Queensland.

The information given on towns for the potential harvest worker in New South Wales is ridiculous. In fact, for a lot of them, it just gives you information for Mildura, in Victora. I know that it's right on the border but it's not helpful when you want to look up several different towns and see if they have working hostels so you don't have to provide your own transport.

I think the only reason they didn't manage to pull that trick so much with the information for Queensland is that most of the towns are so far apart!

I did mention the fact that I was probably going to go to Brisbane to a couple of people and the overwhelming response I've had is that Queensland is really hot and muggy in the summer. Firstly I know this, I have been there before. Secondly I'm going in July, I know that I can be a bit dense at times but surely, in Australia, that counts as winter? I know it's summer here, trust me, the last week or 2 has proved that but there? I don't intend to work for the entire time I'm back there, just long enough to earn some money so I can visit Perth, and Darwin, and Adelaide, and Sydney...

And now for something completely different...

Those of you who know me will know that as far as football goes, I'm not it's greatest fan. I don't go out of my way to watch it and mostly it just seems a bit dull. Every 4 years though, I become completely addicted, I get glued to the tv and can generally give you information on groups and teams and even comment on the games. Today, I think, has been the best day yet!! I couldn't believe it! I was sitting on the sofa, screaming at the tv when Japan scored that dubious goal against Australia and was on the edge of my seat for most of the game. The last 10 minutes were the best football I think I've ever seen! Go Cahill! First ever World Cup goal scored for Australia! Closely followed by a second. Then Aloisi got in there with a third. It was as if after close calls all through the match someone had finally thought 'oh, the ball's supposed to go IN the net' and then there was no stopping them. Brilliant! I just wish that England could have put on such a captivating performance in their first game.
|