www.flickr.com

nothing because it has to be connected to my computer to work, grrr


prawn cocktail crisps

pilchards on toast (you can get pilchards there but they just don't taste the same)

decent tv

jaffa cakes

Greggs pasties

proper beer (as in Black Sheep, or Timothy Taylor's Landlord, or Cwrw Haf, the list goes on...)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Married in the tropics, enjoying life with my husband, my clarinet and wondering that eternal mystery - where do all my fish go?

adopt your own virtual pet!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, March 25, 2006

It's all about me...naturally

Pomgirl tagged me to do this and though I vowed never to do a meme again this one kinda got me so here you all go, a deep and meaningful insight into my life. Please don't run too far, I'm not that scary, honestly.

What were you doing 10 Years Ago?

I was 16, in my GSCE year. Overweight, confused, and generally not loving life. The only thing that I knew I could do even vaguely well was play my clarinet. That was the year I got into the Three Counties Orchestra for the first time, which was nice, because it meant that for once I was on a sort of level playing field with other fellow (and much better than me) musicians like my friend Amy. I had a huge crush on my clarinet teacher and my geography teacher. I didn't have much of a life, it being all school, music, sleep, school sort of thing. I did have some very good friends though, some of whom I'm still in touch with now, which is nice.

5 Years Ago?

I was living in the rather amusingly named Burchett Place (try saying it out loud, a lot of 18-21 yr olds found it funny) and was attempting to graduate from Leeds University. This was hampered by the fact that I was still recovering from a bout of glandular fever at Easter the year before, I was seriously depressed about my dad dying the May before that and was about to come down with a rather serious viral infection just before my finals which got my housemate so worried that she took me to casualty with suspected meningitis. Fortunately I wasn't quite that ill and some rather strong painkillers and antibiotics knocked me out for about a week in order to let me get somewhat well again. I also reached the end of my tether where my dissertation was concerned which culminated in a series of visits to the Uni counselling service - the condition which my department put on me actually graduating. The dissertation never materialised.

1 Year Ago?

I was 2 months into my round the world tour and had just arrived in Australia. My friend from home was visiting and we were seeing a lot of Victoria. We had hire a car to drive round in and ended up with the yellow mean machine. This car grew on us quite a bit and we both have various pictures of the yellow mean machine taken in various parts of Victoria. I hadn't met TAB yet and was still slightly pining for New Zealand but Australia was growing on me. Life was good and I had already realised that the UK was not the country for me. I felt free-er, happier and generally in an all round good mood for the first time in, well, ever.

Five snacks you enjoy:


Jaffa Cakes
Bournville Chocolate
Prawn Cocktail chips (sorry, crisps)
Plain Homewheat Biscuits
Stuffed Olives

Five songs (I think) I know by heart:

Son of a Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield
Goodbye to you - Michelle Branch
The Be All and End All - Bic Runga
Hotel Yorba - White Stripes
I Touch Myself - The DiVinals (I like the song, ok?!)
There are actually lots, lots more, I have a very scary memory for lyrics. Especially of musicals. Just a pity it doesn't work for anything else!

Five things I would do with a LOT of money:

Buy my visa to Australia
Fix up mum's house
Buy a house in Melbourne
Pay for all my friends to visit me (and yes, Doris, that includes you)
Invest a lot of it (boring I know but sensible, right?)

Five things I would never wear:

One of those tops with an empire waist line that makes even the shop window models look 7 months pregnant
Stilletos (my sense of balance isn't brilliant)
Puffball skirts
Items of clothing with horizontal stripes
Anything bright orange or orangy red

Five things I should never have worn:

Can I count most of my wardrobe between the ages of 13 and 24? Specifically? Ok...
Tight t-shirt and leggings when definately overweight
Really baggy, shapeless jumpers and tops
All my trousers (they were all too short for me, not entirely my fault that the fashion world simply didn't do extra long trousers then, I'm not that tall but my legs are very long)
My school uniform (trust me, with a pale complexion and habit of total face and neck blushing, postbox red was NOT the best choice in colours for me)
Nope, am still going to go with the rest of my wardrobe.

Five things I enjoy doing:

Reading (of all things bar newspapers, I don't like the seriousness)
Doing cross stitch (I'm sad I know) especially whilst...
Watching things like Buffy/Angel/Firefly, anything Joss Whedon-ish
Skydiving
Rock climbing

Five bad habits:

Saying 'really' a lot
Sucking my thumb (yes, I do still on occasion when I'm really - damn - down, it helps)
Biting my fingernails
Falling for idiots
Dithering

Five people I would like to do this:

Once again, not going to do this one. If you want to do it, go ahead (and please tell me, cos I'm interested) but if you don't, then you don't and it's all fine by me :)

Last, but not least, I have realised that my blogger comments are appearing on my main page but I'm not sure if people can post to them but if you really feel the need to comment then if you make just the post you want to comment on appear (click on the list of recent random thoughts at the side) then at the bottom of those is the haloscan comments (witterings and trackbacks) and when you comment on these I definately get them at the haloscan website - it's a work in progress as to whether they appear on the blog. It's taking time but I'm getting there!
|