www.flickr.com

nothing because it has to be connected to my computer to work, grrr


prawn cocktail crisps

pilchards on toast (you can get pilchards there but they just don't taste the same)

decent tv

jaffa cakes

Greggs pasties

proper beer (as in Black Sheep, or Timothy Taylor's Landlord, or Cwrw Haf, the list goes on...)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Married in the tropics, enjoying life with my husband, my clarinet and wondering that eternal mystery - where do all my fish go?

adopt your own virtual pet!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Panic and relief

I have been stressing (whilst watching the 'roos, of course) about having somewhere to go for the last couple of days. I'd already had to extend my stay at Noosa because all of the hostels in Bundaberg, every single damn one, was booked up for days in advance, but wouldn't let me book several days in advance because they didn't know when they'd have vacancies.

Yesterday I settled down by the payphone again (no mobile reception, grrr) for another round of pointless phone calls.

'Hi, do you have any vacancies and work from Sunday?' 'No, sorry, we're fully booked, why don't you try the ***** hostel?' 'Thanks, I will (kindly not mentioning that I'd already rung them)'. Repeat ad infinitum.

At my wits end and rather fed up of having nowhere to stay I was therefore rather surprised that one had a place for me, and, not only that but I may have a job on Monday! They weren't really pleased that I don't arrive in Bundaberg until 11.10pm (not my fault, there's only 1 coach a day, surely they're used to it? At least I'm on Premier, Greyhound get there even later) as the buses to go to work leave at 5am and 5.30am every day. I'm a little unsure what possessed me to say that I would be able to work on Monday, several hours on a coach followed by trying to find a hostel in the dark, then getting up at stupid times of the day again to go out and pick tomatoes is not the best idea ever but I felt it was better than saying no. I just keep telling myself that a job is a job, I've done it before, I'll survive.

I'm actually looking forward to working again, the last 2 weeks have been lovely but I really need to DO something.

I'm hoping to be able to post some photos soon too. I rejoyced today that I had finally found an internet cafe that allows you to use the USB port only to remember that my cable for my camera is in my rucksack which my hostel are keeping hold of for me until my bus leaves.
Bugger.
|